Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Osmosis Bones

Cold Steel - A Dark and Gritty Mapset

It's a pretty nice package! Basically someone who looked at the PSX/Doom 64 approach and decided that would be the primary gameplay driver. Though at least it's marginally more difficult if you find that important.

Posted (edited)

Recommended source port: DSDA or PrBoom+

Works fine, no issues, with latest GzDoom 4.12.2. Video will be later.

didnt like monsters graphics

fights and design is simple but fun

atmosphere is great 

my first exit and failed demos for all maps using prboom cl9 uv skill 

1-2-3.zip

7 minutes ago, Zahid said:

didnt like monsters graphics

fights and design is simple but fun

atmosphere is great 

my first exit and failed demos for all maps using prboom cl9 uv skill 

1-2-3.zip

They look and sound very good.. It's something new and not the same over and over again.

Fun dark and gritty wad, as promised. Good for those who enjoy the doom 64 vibe even if you've never played that game like me, or PSX doom like LadyMistDragon mentioned. The idea for the secret exit hunt was very clever, if I may say so as an automap addict myself. 

Here's a few humble observations:

Spoiler

- I knocked off this revenant with plasma and it fell in the pit. Probably good to use monster block lines here.

- Thought it was worth mentioning that giving 3 (secret) blue armors is perhaps a bit superfluous for the whole map. Maybe one of them could be replaced with a soulsphere or something else?

- In the exit area, going to this portal doesn't teleport me anywhere. I think there's not enough space for doomguy to fit and trigger the action line.

Thanks for sharing this! Hope to see more maps from you.

51 minutes ago, galileo31dos01 said:

Fun dark and gritty wad, as promised. Good for those who enjoy the doom 64 vibe even if you've never played that game like me, or PSX doom like LadyMistDragon mentioned. The idea for the secret exit hunt was very clever, if I may say so as an automap addict myself. 

Here's a few humble observations:

Reveal hidden contents

- I knocked off this revenant with plasma and it fell in the pit. Probably good to use monster block lines here.

- Thought it was worth mentioning that giving 3 (secret) blue armors is perhaps a bit superfluous for the whole map. Maybe one of them could be replaced with a soulsphere or something else?

- In the exit area, going to this portal doesn't teleport me anywhere. I think there's not enough space for doomguy to fit and trigger the action line.

Thanks for sharing this! Hope to see more maps from you.

Thanks for your feedback. I'll be sure to fix those little quirks as soon as I get the chance.

There's been a small update to the WAD which includes:

• Fixed one of the portals in MAP04 being unusable
  • Minor map tweaks
  • Another source mentioned in the text file

link has been updated

Just finished 1-3 and I'm a massive fan of the vibe on this thing; this is maybe trite/obvious to say with the music choices here but this scratches a particular grimy late-90's/early 00's itch that's immensely satisfying and feels very intentionally constructed. The washed out palette and photorealistic texture usage are both things I'm an absolute freak for and your sprite/sound replacements are really tasty across the board (for the latter I really appreciate how things are all-around a little more sharp/brittle than vanilla).

Also very fond of the particular flavor of horror you're tapping into here, something about the combo industrial/psych vibe and the abundant environmental gore really hits for me. Kind of conjures Afraid of Monsters/Postal 1 a little bit for me sometimes idk. Maybe I'm desensitized to vanilla textures but it's really really nice to see Boom mapping given this much earnest aesthetic attention as a horror-informed thing, I'm often craving that and it feels like there's really not a ton of options for it.

Shout-out to the flicker hallway in map 3 that thing is an absolute treat.

25 minutes ago, lumely said:

Just finished 1-3 and I'm a massive fan of the vibe on this thing; this is maybe trite/obvious to say with the music choices here but this scratches a particular grimy late-90's/early 00's itch that's immensely satisfying and feels very intentionally constructed. The washed out palette and photorealistic texture usage are both things I'm an absolute freak for and your sprite/sound replacements are really tasty across the board (for the latter I really appreciate how things are all-around a little more sharp/brittle than vanilla).

Also very fond of the particular flavor of horror you're tapping into here, something about the combo industrial/psych vibe and the abundant environmental gore really hits for me. Kind of conjures Afraid of Monsters/Postal 1 a little bit for me sometimes idk. Maybe I'm desensitized to vanilla textures but it's really really nice to see Boom mapping given this much earnest aesthetic attention as a horror-informed thing, I'm often craving that and it feels like there's really not a ton of options for it.

Shout-out to the flicker hallway in map 3 that thing is an absolute treat.

Really glad to hear this. You pretty much nailed it with what inspired the vibes of this whole mapset.

On 8/26/2024 at 12:32 AM, Osmosis Bones said:

There's been a small update to the WAD which includes:

• Fixed one of the portals in MAP04 being unusable
  • Minor map tweaks
  • Another source mentioned in the text file

link has been updated

Can you link to the original set so we can see Zahid's demos?  it goes out of sync in map 4 and it would be fun to see them.

Damn, what a beautiful wad!

I absolutely adore this dark industrial/biopunk aesthetic that's combined with a thick, dense melancholy, and I really liked the vibes, which are reminiscent of Silent Hill and in some places even a little bit of Shrine II.

Finding secrets on this mapset was nice, it always caused a feeling of sensation ╰(▔∀▔)╯

And great selection of music, Akira Yamaoka is a GOAT :3
--------------
I accidentally found a window (with creepy eyes) on Map 03 that you can fall through without being able to come back

Spoiler

image.png.89772357599beda45bee4f3919b0e0b2.png

44 minutes ago, Astar said:

I accidentally found a window (with creepy eyes) on Map 03 that you can fall through without being able to come back

Holy smokes! Looks like a 2nd patch is in order.

Aside from that, I appreciate the kind words.