Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Pegleg

IronEagle Competition 70: After the Eclipse

Welcome to another month of the IronEagle competition, the ironman challenge where all are welcome, from the grizzled veteran to the player who just bought Doom yesterday. As long as you enjoy playing Doom, and are willing to try it without saves, come and join us, the water's fine!

This month, participants will challenge themselves against After the Eclipse, an 11-map Boom-compatible mapset for Doom 2 made by Daniel "@FractalXX" Bettenbuk and released in 2012. The mapset, based on titles and aesthetic details, tells the story of the protagonist escaping from the demon-overrun UAC base and traveling to a secret base, and, from there, on to the Anomaly on Mars. From the Anomaly, you go to outer space, where you confront the demon lords that threaten Earth. Also, according to the author, the title is just a title.

Participants must play these maps on complevel 9 or Boom(strict).

Download After the Eclipse here.

Congratulations to this month's winners (further details are in the post below).

UV: @Asbadagba (Runner-up: @joe-ilya)

HMP: @ClumsyCryptid (Runner-up: @the ghost of Lenny briscoe)

HNTR: @Andromeda (Runner-up: Pegleg)

After the Eclipse starts at Map 01. Survival is finishing Map 11. There are no secret maps.

Please note that there are potential softlocks. I have spoilered them in case you don't want to know, or in case you want to control how many details you have about them. The first spoiler just tells you the map with the softlock, with further details about where and then how to avoid the softlock, in further spoilers.

Softlock 1:

Spoiler

The potential softlock is in Map 06.

Spoiler

Early in the map, there is a cement corridor with a line of health bonuses leading to a door. On the other side of the door is the potential softlock.

Spoiler

On either side of a bridge with white light columns are pools of water. If you jump/fall into either of those pools, you will be stuck. There is no way out of them. From what I can tell, the rest of the pits in the mapset are death pits and/or have some way out of them. These pools of water are the only such softlocking pits.

Softlock 2:

Spoiler

The potential soft lock is in Map 08.

Spoiler

There is a megasphere secret accessible from the room with the megaarmor and a window that overlooks the starting area.

Spoiler

The room containing it is opened with a secret switch (repeatable) nearby. If you happen to find it, run it, quickly get the megasphere, and get out. There is time enough to do this. However, if you're not fast enough or you dawdle, you can become trapped in the small room with the megasphere, and be softlocked.

One other warning: Maps 09 through 11 are set in outer space. For the most part, you're not able to fall off into space. But if it seems like you might be able to, try not to.

Spoiler

On Map 11, the middle area is open to space.

Spoiler

I suggest you don't fall into it. The results will not be good.

Enjoy!

Spoiler

• Template for PRBoom+:
    • -iwad doom2.wad -file f_ate.wad -complevel 9 -skill <x> -warp 01 -record <IEate>

• Template for ZDoom:
    • -iwad doom2.wad -file f_ate.wad +compatmode 6 -skill <x> +map map 01 -record <IEate>
      • it is possible you may have to use +set skill <x> for GZDoom

• <x> must be replaced by the skill level. 2 = HNTR, 3 = HMP, 4 = UV
  • <IEate> would be replaced with whatever you decide to call your demo, if you're submitting a demo

Rules:

The rules are basically the same as they have been. Either demos or streams are permissible. If you are creating a demo, post the demo. If you are streaming, post a video of the stream. Even if streaming, you can still submit a demo, if you want to.

The basic rule is that you submit a demo/stream played at a particular difficulty level (HNTR, HMP, or UV) and you play without saving and reloading, ending your run when you die (or survive).

The following are allowed (but not required):

• Freelook
  • Crosshair
  • Mods that are COSMETIC ONLY

The following are NOT allowed:

• Crouching
  • Jumping
  • Mods that change ANY aspect of base gameplay, including (but not limited to) enemy behavior, enemy speed, player abilities, player speed, weapon damage, ammo, and enemy drops.

Further, more specific, rules are listed below:

Spoiler

• Submissions (except for streams, as described below) must include a demo.
    • You may practice a mapset if you want, but these practice runs should not be submitted as your official entry, and your run would be Category 2, unless there are exceptional circumstances (such as described below).
  • A run must be done in a singular sitting with no saves. (With room for breaks. This will be addressed below.)
  • Streams and video runs are accepted provided you post a video of the stream/run or a link to the video.
    • If you post a video of the stream, you may post a demo if you want, but it is not mandatory. You may also post a demo if you, for some reason, do not want to post the video or a link.
  • Secret levels, if present, do not have to be completed for a survival run. If they are completed, they are extra credit.

Any port is accepted provided it will actually run the mapset. There is no preference.

Spoiler

Of course, if you want to try a limit-removing/Boom map in Chocolate Doom, be my guest. However, be aware that your run may be over rather quickly. Don't say you weren't warned.

Category System:

• Category 1: Blind run.
    • This explains itself. You have no knowledge of the wad and have not played/seen it before. I'm willing to be somewhat lenient with this Category.
      • For example, if you die early in Map 01, and then decide to play again for your run, you can still call it Category 1.
  • Category 2: Non-blind.
    • If you have played the wad before and/or possess significant foreknowledge, your run is non-blind. Basically, anything that is not Category 1 is Category 2.

If you're unhappy with your first run (whether it's blind or otherwise), feel free to record a new run, and submit that run instead. (Just don't submit your first run.) If you want to submit your first run, no matter how you perform, by all means, go ahead and do it. You shouldn't feel that you HAVE to submit a run you're dissatisfied with, just to preserve a "Category 1" status. If you want to go back and submit a second run, you're welcome to do so, but, at this time, it won't be counted.

Difficulty System:

You may submit a demo/stream for only one of HNTR, HMP, or UV. Choose only one, because subsequent submissions will be rejected (i.e., if you submit a HMP demo, the HNTR demo you then submit will be rejected). We're not using the 1CC rule set here. Your first submission is what counts.

Only runs from the same difficulty will be pitted against each other. Each difficulty will be graded separately.

Submission:

When you submit your run, please the include the following information:

• The category (1 or 2)
  • The difficulty
  • If you survived, your time
  • If you didn't survive, the map where you died
  • The time it took you to reach the map where you died
  • Kill count upon death
  • The port you used (if you included a demo)
  • A link to the stream/video (if you did a stream)

You may include a commentary about the maps or details about them, if you want to. If you do include specific information about the map (e.g., "The demon trap in Map 08 is rough"), please put it in a spoiler, so that people that want a completely blind experience won't be tipped off. If you're just putting in a general comment (e.g., "Pro tip: don't get hit"), then no need for a spoiler.

Attempting to max the maps is not necessary to win.

Ranking for this mapset will be determined by:

• Survival
  • Time for survival
  • Map of Death (in descending order: Map 11, Map 10, Map 09, Map 08, Map 07, Map 06, Map 05, Map 04, Map 03, Map 02, Map 01)
  • Time to reach map of death
  • Kill count in the map of death

If you die, please wait a few seconds before quitting.

Breaks:

Everyone gets tired. Sometimes people survive longer than they expected. Nature calls. Every now and then, there are family emergencies. Needing to take a break shouldn't necessarily end a promising run. While you should try to complete the run in a single setting, this isn't always possible. If you have to take a break, try to make it quick.

Happy Dooming!

Previous IronEagle Competitions

Spoiler

• 1 (Oct.): Scientist 2 (Winners -- UV: leodoom85   HMP: n/a   HNTR: Liberation)
  • 2 (Nov.): Vanguard (Winners -- UV: Bdubzzz   HMP: n/a   HNTR: Liberation)
  • 3 (Dec.): Crumpets (Winners -- UV: NoisyVelvet   HMP: n/a   HNTR: Pegleg)

• 4 (Feb.): Dark Covenant (Winners -- UV: kmc   HMP: n/a   HNTR: Pegleg)
  • 5 (Mar.): Brood of Hatred (Winners -- UV: Bdubzzz   HMP: Crusader No Regret   HNTR: Pegleg)
  • 6 (Apr.): Riot Control (Winners -- UV: Bdubzzz   HMP: Walter Confetti   HNTR: Pegleg)
  • 7 (May): Scimitar (Winners -- UV: Bdubzzz   HMP: Crusader No Regret   HNTR: Pegleg)
  • 8 (Jun.): Bauhaus (Winners -- UV: vdgg   HMP: Crusader No Regret   HNTR: Pegleg)
  • 9 (Jul.): Bloody Steel (Winners -- UV: Bdubzzz   HMP: n/a   HNTR: Pegleg)
  • 10 (Aug.): The Brotherhood of Ruin (Winners -- UV: leodoom85   HMP: n/a   HNTR: Pegleg)
  • 11 (Sept.): Flashback to Hell (Winners -- UV: kmc/Bdubzzz   HMP: n/a   HNTR: Pegleg)
  • 12 (Oct.): A Taste for Blood (Winners -- UV: Bdubzzz   HMP: n/a   HNTR: Pegleg)
  • 13 (Nov.): Back to Basics (Winners -- UV: Bdubzzz   HMP: Horus   HNTR: Pegleg)
  • 14 (Dec.): Whitemare (Winners -- UV: Bdubzzz & NaZa   HMP: Crusader No Regret   HNTR: Pegleg)

• 39 (Jan.): The Talosian Incident (Winners -- UV: mhrz   HMP: PsychEyeball   HNTR: Major Arlene)
  • 40 (Feb.): Apokalypsis (Winners -- UV: Maribo   HMP: Goofy_1966   HNTR: Andromeda)
  • 41 (Mar.): Breach & Brigandine (Winners -- UV: SCF   HMP: head_cannon   HNTR: Major Arlene)
  • 42 (Apr.): Nex Credo (Winners -- UV: mhrz   HMP: Crusader No Regret   HNTR: Andromeda)
  • 43 (May): Ezekiel (Winners -- UV: dt_   HMP: LadyMistDragon   HNTR: Pegleg)
  • 44 (Jun.): Elegy (Winners -- UV: mhrz   HMP:  SCF  HNTR: Andromeda)
  • 45 (Jul.): Respawned: Back from Hell (Winners -- UV: dt_   HMP:  LadyMistDragon  HNTR: Andromeda)
  • 46 (Aug.): Viscous Realms (Winners -- UV: dt_   HMP:  LadyMistDragon  HNTR: Andromeda)
  • 47 (Sept.): PhobosDeimos Anomaly (Winners -- UV: Luleta   HMP:  Zhaojue  HNTR: Pegleg)
  • 48 (Oct.): Eternally Yours (Winners -- UV: NaZa   HMP:  head_cannon  HNTR: Andromeda)
  • 49 (Nov.): Foursite (Winners -- UV: Asbadagba   HMP:  xX_Lol6_Xx  HNTR: Andromeda)
  • 50 (Dec.): Doom 2 (Winners -- UV: 4shockblast   HMP:  xX_Lol6_Xx  HNTR: NoisyVelvet)

• 51 (Jan.): Monument (Winners -- UV: ginc   HMP: head_cannon   HNTR: Andromeda)
  • 52 (Feb.): Into the Code (Winners -- UV: Asbadagba   HMP: xX_Lol 6_Xx   HNTR: Pegleg)
  • 53 (Mar.): City of Doom (Winners -- UV: Asbadagba   HMP: head_cannon   HNTR: Andromeda)
  • 54 (Apr.): Prototype (Winners -- UV: SCF   HMP: head_cannon   HNTR: Andromeda)
  • 55 (May): MAYhem 2019 (Winners -- UV: joe-ilya   HMP: LadyMistDragon   HNTR: Horus)
  • 56 (Jun.-Jul.): Adonis: Escape from Urania (Winners -- UV: ginc   HMP: LadyMistDragon   HNTR: Andromeda)
  • 57 (Jul.-Aug.): The Abyss (Winners -- UV: Master Medi   HMP: xX_Lol 6_Xx   HNTR: Andromeda)
  • 58 (Sept.): Enslavement (Winners -- UV: joe-ilya   HMP: LadyMistDragon   HNTR: Pegleg)
  • 59 (Oct.): Escalation Titan (Winners -- UV: NaZa   HMP: head_cannon   HNTR: Andromeda)
  • 60 (Nov.): Bad Idea (Winners -- UV: NaZa   HMP: LadyMistDragon   HNTR: Andromeda)
  • 61 (Dec.): Grim Ripper (Winners -- UV: galileo31dos01   HMP: head_cannon   HNTR: Andromeda)

• 62 (Jan.): ADoom (Winners -- UV: Asbadagba   HMP: head_cannon   HNTR: Andromeda)
  • 63 (Feb.): Preacher (Winners -- UV: SCF   HMP: LadyMistDragon   HNTR: Andromeda)
  • 64 (Mar.): Castle of Evil (Winners -- UV: Horus   HMP: head_Cannon   HNTR: SleepyVelvet)
  • 65 (Apr.): Slith (Winners -- UV: SCF   HMP: LadyMistDragon   HNTR: Andromeda)
  • 66 (May): Kmega1 (Winners -- UV: joe-ilya   HMP: LadyMistDragon   HNTR: Pegleg)
  • 67 (Jun.): Post (Winners -- UV: galileo31dos01   HMP: LadyMistDragon   HNTR: Andromeda)

• 68 (Jul.): Cold Front (Winners -- UV: SCF   HMP: LadyMistDragon   HNTR: Andromeda)

• 69 (Aug.): The Shores of Phil (Winners -- UV: Bdubzzz   HMP: ClumsyCryptid  HNTR: Andromeda)

Edited by Pegleg : EDIT 1: Add softlock 2. EDIT 2: Add monthly winners and runners up.

Category: 1

Difficulty: HNTR

Softlocked on: MAP08

Kills: 24/73

Time on MAP07 exit: 26:49

My greed was my downfall :(

ie_andromeda_f_ate.zip

SOFTLOCK ALERT:

If you find the megasphere secret, quickly get in it and grab the item before you get locked in, otherwise you cannot get out.

2 minutes ago, Horus said:

Oh dear, double softlocked for Andromeda this month! :(

It's not even the first time, also happened in May 2022 :P

7 minutes ago, Andromeda said:

SOFTLOCK ALERT:

If you find the megasphere secret, quickly get in it and grab the item before you get locked in, otherwise you cannot get out.

That explains why I didn't find that soft lock--I'm generally horrible at finding secrets. But thank you for sharing your misfortune, I'll add it to the OP.

Category: 2

Difficulty: HNTR

Dead on: Map 07

Time of death: 37:23

Time entering Map 07: 30:02

Kills: 74/75

ie_pegleg_ate.zip

Don't get overconfident. 

Spoiler

There's a few hairy spots in the early maps, but I figured that if I could get through Map 06, I would be able to make it to Map 09.

Oh well.

The lesson for this month is that if there's something you think you'll need later, and you're planning to come back for it later when you need it, don't assume you'll be able to. Had I gone back earlier than I did, I'd still be playing right now. As I said in this month's DWIL, such is the nature of ironmanning. Nevertheless, I'm happy with how I did.

Posted to the discord, but posting here as well.

Category 1
Difficulty: HMP
Survived in 48:45
Port: DSDA-Doom

No softlocks, all maps were fairly straight forward. Kinda wish that there was more, but reasonably small sized maps. There were no instances of being at the edge of my seat trying to struggle to not die. I imagine that there's a severe difficulty spike between HMP and UV based off of the style of the maps, and the time the levelset was released. HMP is my cruise control difficulty.

Edit: Comment related to later levels and under the spoiler tag below.

Spoiler

Watch as in Map11 I recognize that I'm about to use momentum to fall into the middle and panic strafe away. Also features clenching rocket dodging, I swear I was going to run directly into the one that you can see that shoots off the right side of my screen lol. In an earlier map, I forget which, the archvile in the hallway.. I didn't have the gall to risk splash damage and wasted many rockets firing straight at a zig-zagging archie..

IEF_ATEClumsyHMP.zip

Edited by ClumsyCryptid

Difficulty: HMP

Dead on: Map07

Time of Death: 18:11

Kills: 69/75

Spoiler

I got too greedy... everything was smooth sailing up until the room where it suddenly turned into a bloodbath.

coco-f_ate-cat2.7z

Cat: 1

Difficulty: UV

Dead Map 03

Kills: 3/26

Exited map 2 at 5:17

Spoiler

The soulsphere secret saved me from certain death on map 02. Map 03 seemed pretty difficult, didn't see a way I was going to get out of that one

0horus_ironeagle_2024_09.zip

Survived in 50:29

DWIE_24-09-fate_SCF.zip

My first attempt ended in the softlock that the OP warned about because I wasn't keeping track of what map I was on. I gave it another shot it after checking what the secrets on map 1 were (correctly assuming they'd be useful) so I didn't know what to expect from map 6 onward.

I believe new map makers shouldn't be allowed to use barons of hell until they pass a monster placement exam.

Bad. Maps 1-2 were relatively easy aside from shortage of ammo, but map 3 suddenly obliterated me from all directions at the start, with mancs, revs and lost souls. So many lost souls in fact that I didn't notice one of them was actually a rev missile. Very cool difficulty progression. More wads should have a suddenly hard map after easy ones. -_-

Design-wise the wad is interesting, but it's not my thing. Especially with everything being pretty cramped.

Category 1 UV. I forgot to record stats this time, but I exited map 2 at around 6:57.

lildevil_f_ate.zip

Skill: UV

DNF/Softlock(?) on Map 07

Time: well, 25:02 is when I closed dsda

Port: dsda-doom 0.27.3 cl9

Kill count: 73/90 

f_ate_IEbygal.zip

Spoiler

Boo what a shame! I must have crossed a close door line that was right next to such door and, yeah, one little major thing that may have slipped under the playtesting phase. After seeing the current best time I was feeling confident I could get around there but I guess it wasn't meant to be :(

The maps... a little charming visually, technically mediocre and with flaws, improving slightly around map 07 if we excuse the cursed door, though I see there's more easy softlocks people found so who knows where's the limit. Obviously you ought to choose continuous here in any way you play this one, which is alright of course, it did seem like running out of ammo was a factor to consider if I didn't skip some trash in the way. I think my highlights were the both random Garbage and Paramore songs, it makes me wants to check what midis are in the rest of the wad. 

I just found out this author is the same who leaded Gridlock 64. I played that one a long time ago, all I can remember is that the quality was a rollercoaster but it had multiple good, fun maps in the mix so I may recommend checking that one if you are into "community chest with emphasis on cchest1 wildness" style of, community projects. 

So you might want to add this softlock to your growing list :P

Difficulty: uv
Dead on: Map06
Time of death: 21:23
Time entering Map06: 20:20
Kills: 11/70

ie_f_ate_pierrot.zip

Welp, I jumped right to the softlock. Otherwise, I was short on ammo in the end but it should have been manageable.

https://youtu.be/g5Y0FYEY1ck

Run starts at around 1:51:30.

Category 1-ish on UV (I played the first two maps to check it out, but the rest was blind having not played this before).

Died on map 6 to the first Arachnotron, 0/70 monsters killed.

Ammo and health, what is that?

joe-ilya posted a run to the Ironman discord. Here are the details (and demo), for those who have not joined the Ironman Discord server.

Survived

Time: 47:37

Port: DSDA-Doom

f_ateIRONEAGLEjoe.zip

Austinado did an IronEagle run a few weeks ago, but I just checked today. So, I wanted to add it here before the end of the month.

@Austinado, feel free to add in any additional details you want.

Dead on: Map 03

Time: 9:06

Entered Map 03: 7:43

Dead MAP02 at 02:32 (reached MAP02 at 01:56)

Kill count: 15/39

Port: dsda-doom

Right in the nick of time, hope it's still in time (barely..)

There was much excitement about softlocks, and I was excited to see if I would get softlocked or not, but I safely died very far away from any :D

ironeagle-f_ate-grayfox.zip

Category 1, I once again blunder immediately. 6/18 kills.

This time at least there was no way I would have been able to avoid that hell knight projectile, couldn't see it, but I could have also rushed less to get the chaingun.

Oh well. Taking it on the chin and moving on.

ironeagle_sep24_naza.zip

A hearty thank you to everyone who came out to challenge themselves against After the Eclipse. I hope to see everyone back next month for the next IronEagle installment. And bring a few friends, too.

Without further ado, here are the results for IronEagle 70.

UV

1. Asbadagba (Survived)
  2. joe-ilya (Survived)
  3. SCF (Survived)
  4. galileo31dos01 (Map 07)
  5. dt_ (Map 06)
  6. Pierrot (Map 06)
  7. Suitepee (Map 06)
  8. Wolfgun Shootner (Map 05)
  9. Horus (Map 03)
  10. SleepyVelvet (Map 03 - for all intents and purposes)
  11. Li'l Devil (Map 03)
  12. Austinado (Map 03)
  13. Grayfox (Map 02)
  14. NaZa (Map 01)

HMP

1. ClumsyCryptid (Survived)
  2. the ghost of Lenny briscoe (Map 08)
  3. CocoCaco (Map 07)

HNTR

1. Andromeda (Map 08)
  2. Pegleg (Map 07)