Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Cardboard Marty

[ZDoom/MBF21] Monster Sounds EX

These are great! I was wondering though if an optional 32 kHz version could be done? To better match with other higher quality sounds, like Perk's ones for example.

12 hours ago, Agitatio said:

These are great! I was wondering though if an optional 32 kHz version could be done? To better match with other higher quality sounds, like Perk's ones for example.

I had this vaguely in mind, although I'm not a fan of how the higher-quality sound packs are currently EQ'd. They all seem like the high end of the sounds are bumped up to the max, making it very harsh on the ears. I was thinking of something more of a 22 kHz version with a noticeably higher-quality sound but nothing that is too out of place in the context of Doom.

I updated the original post with an FAQ on reuse and including these in your own projects. Short answer: go for it! These were intended to be a resource first and a mod second, so I'd love to see these out in the wild. I'm still waiting on the mods.bethesda.net version to go through whatever validation process it needs to, so hopefully that'll be available soon!

Hey small suggestion but I think Doom RPG's Orange fire Barons Would work a little better since it contrasts a bit more than red fire on red skin while still being very flamy I guess.

By the way, is there something I need to do to get the MBF21 version to work in Nugget Doom?

20 hours ago, VHsigil said:

May I suggest a mod that gives the chaingun a unique firing sound?

I could do that! ZDoom defines the chaingun sound separately, so I could do the same thing I've done with the extra monster sounds. Updating the MBF21 version wouldn't be too difficult either. I'll put this firmly in the "maybe in the future" plan list!

3 hours ago, VHsigil said:

By the way, is there something I need to do to get the MBF21 version to work in Nugget Doom?

It should work right out of the box!

7 hours ago, Opalien495 said:

Hey small suggestion but I think Doom RPG's Orange fire Barons Would work a little better since it contrasts a bit more than red fire on red skin while still being very flamy I guess.

I did think about doing a more intensive recolor, but I didn't want to spend too much time on it. Ultimately, I wanted the fireball to look different to justify the different sounds and that was about it. I might do something bigger later, but I figured for the scope of this mod, the simple recolor would be fine. I only included the more intensive edit of the Hell Knight because I had already done it before making the mod.

3 hours ago, Cardboard Marty said:

I did think about doing a more intensive recolor, but I didn't want to spend too much time on it. Ultimately, I wanted the fireball to look different to justify the different sounds and that was about it. I might do something bigger later, but I figured for the scope of this mod, the simple recolor would be fine. I only included the more intensive edit of the Hell Knight because I had already done it before making the mod.

Do you think you could make a version where the Hell Knights have the red projectiles and the Barons have the green one? I feel the green fireballs the Barons have are too iconic and I think it would make the switch in Doom 64 feel a bit cooler since I always thought the sprites for the Doom 64 Caco and Pain Elemental should be swapped.

3 minutes ago, VaibhavRM said:

Finally, Red Voxel Hell Knight is real ;)

2300_20240926011421_1.png.079b3f0a327cf0bed3d98bf70d182c36.png

2300_20240926011245_1.png.1983a1c893366dac7933f9e8d1cd66ca.png

Mind dropping this? Do you have a version for non-voxel doom, too?

1 hour ago, VHsigil said:

Mind dropping this? Do you have a version for non-voxel doom, too?

Oh I just edited the hellknight voxels from Voxel Doom in slab6 and replaced the baron fireball sprites with the hellknight fireball sprites in Slade. I think this method can be used for a non-voxel mod along with tweaking the colour of the hands in the hellknight sprites :)

Screenshot-Doom-20240929-220001.png

UPDATE

• [NEW] New Spectre pain sound! I'm still not 100% sure about it, however...
  • [NEW - Edited Monsters/MBF21] Brand new Spectre sprites and edited behavior! The Spectre now spawns with standard rendering and only goes fuzzy once it sees you! Wow! Once you kill it, it goes back to its normal rendering. Wowee!
  • [NEW - Edited Monsters] The Demon and Spectre only play their landing sound once they hit the ground.
  • [NEW - Edited Monsters] I included the Hell Knight EX sprites in the Edited Monsters version to match the MBF21 version.
  • [UPDATE - Edited Monsters] Baron of Hell, Hell Knight, and Cacodemon now use their correct blood colors.

Grab it in the first post from your preferred location! I'm still working on getting this uploaded to DOOM + DOOM II, but have been running into some roadblocks. Let me know if you run into any issues!

Edited by Cardboard Marty

20241003171723_1.jpg.208935f1523bb4007e46c216a7c6bd91.jpg

Thanks to the latest update (or just luck?!), you can now play Monster Sounds EX in DOOM + DOOM II! I've uploaded the latest MBF21 version of the mod, so this has the new Spectre sprites and all that fun stuff! Check it out in the first post or using the in-game mod browser!

Thanks for the mod. Always nice to have more options to un-genericize monster sounds.

I find it a little confusing though; it seems only GZDoom has a non-special-monsters version? MBF21 only seems available with the new monster sprites?

4 hours ago, Alexandra said:

Thanks for the mod. Always nice to have more options to un-genericize monster sounds.

I find it a little confusing though; it seems only GZDoom has a non-special-monsters version? MBF21 only seems available with the new monster sprites?

That's correct, mostly because I didn't want to do four different versions of the mod 😅 This was initially made as a resource rather than a gameplay mod, but GZDoom/Zandronum defines monster sounds separately, so it was easy to add an SNDINFO file to point to the new sounds while packaging it all together. I wasn't sure if there was a demand/want for an MBF21 version without the other additions to be honest! It'd be a pretty easy edit to make if so.

Posted (edited)
On 10/4/2024 at 5:24 AM, Cardboard Marty said:

I wasn't sure if there was a demand/want for an MBF21 version without the other additions to be honest! It'd be a pretty easy edit to make if so.

Ah, I see. Keeping it more vanilla is my pref for sure, but that doesn't mean you should hop to do it. :) For now I am good with the prior MBF21 version which at least doesn't have the changed spectre.

Either way, thanks for the mod(s)!