Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jacek Nowak (jacnowak)

[GZDoom] Sector portals and Line_Horizon

Question

Mapping in UDMF format for GZDoom. I'm using sector portals to have a multi-storey building (not using 3d floors as there is a lot of detail inside each floor and 3d floors would make the geometry extremely messy, I'm using 3d floors for detail but not for the actual floors) and I would like to have sea view from the building, so that the floor extends into infinity. I tried to use Line_Horizon for that but the problem is that if I set it only in the lowest sector, there is no horizon effect when I'm in upper sectors (I get sidedef middle texture if there is one or a black box if there is none) and if I set Line_Horizon in all levels, I get the following effect when viewing from the upper sector:

Clipboard01.jpg.6cf183ce8f2fdbb217935b79889e8d09.jpg

So basically horizon is created for each stacked sector separately.

Is there a way to get Line_Horizon to work with sector portals? I know it's a bit of an edge case but well, maybe there is a trick I can use?

2 answers to this question

So if you don't have line_horizon on the upper level, you don't see the lower level's horizon effect; but if you do have it, you see both it and the lower level as well? Odd.

Have you tried using sky floors on your upper levels, instead of the water flat?

4 hours ago, Gez said:

So if you don't have line_horizon on the upper level, you don't see the lower level's horizon effect; but if you do have it, you see both it and the lower level as well?

Yes. If I don't have line_horizon on the upper level, I don't see lower level's horizon effect when the player is in the upper level.

If I have it in both sectors, I see both floors extending into infinity as in the screenshot above.

4 hours ago, Gez said:

Have you tried using sky floors on your upper levels, instead of the water flat? 

Yes, tried using sky floor but it's even worse as additional floors are still rendered but they are all black instead of textured with floor texture.

A half-decent solution I found is using "vanilla" sky effect (zero-height sector) for upper levels and Line_Horizon for lower level. There is still no horizon effect in upper sectors but at least there are no weird artifacts. If you make the sector large enough so that the floor flat ends far it doesn't look terrible and at least it's something Doom players are accustomed to. But it would be great to have proper horizon visible from all levels.