Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Quasar

You Decide: Chocolate Doom Mouse

Should Eternity use Chocolate Doom's mouse code?  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Should Eternity use Chocolate Doom's mouse code?

• Yes.
    • No, keep it like it is, or use something else.

The users get to make the call on this because I know absolutely nothing about how the mouse should work in DOOM, having never used it myself except to mess around on rare occasions.

Can't help here, since I still use the default keyboard setup to play Doom. Unless, on some rare occasion, I get to play on LAN because otherwise all the people there point and laugh at me for using no mouse.

My 2c
Eternity's mouse code is a little weird on my computer (its hard to find a horiz/vert balance imo).
ChocoDoom's mouse input is one of the most comfortable systems (I like GZDoom and doom2.exe better), so I support this move strongly.

What does that imply, exactly? Would it also change the CFG value to the one used for Chocolate Doom and Doom? If so, for that alone I'd say "yes", because being able to transfer the value from one CFG to another makes it much easier for players to get their preferred setup easily.

Config values, default button layout, sensitivity, and acceleration options would be identical.

I prefer PrBoom+, starting with the version that added mouse accel, so I'd like it changed to that. I'm just gonna vote no since Chocolate-Doom's mouse handling is even worse than the problems I had in vanilla back when I didn't have Intellimouse drivers.

If other people have alternatives, such as PrBoom, I'd be happy to hear about those too. However, I won't be trying to get code from radically different ports like zdoom, so please don't bother saying I should do that. I edited the 2nd poll option to reflect this possibility.

Not sure what problems Doom2 and Chocolate Doom can provide (Belial wasn't specific), but PrBoom+ has some strange quirks, such as an alternate mouse handling (which it toggleable) that only works on Windows XP (maybe 2000 too?) and some sort of wobble or lag when turning the mouse during MultiPlayer (which does not affect the standard PrBoom).

Add mwheelup and mwheeldown.
I could bind these to a summon command or cheats or whatever.
When you(in the future)add a weapon toggle option...this would be very useful.

It is absolutely impossible to use a mouse in Eternity.
About alternative handling of mouse in prboom-plus: it has some mistakes in some specific cases, but it in 10 times is better than standard processing through SDL in prboom and in 1000 times than in Eternity

myk said:

Not sure what problems Doom2 and Chocolate Doom can provide (Belial wasn't specific)

Vanilla: without Intellimouse drivers I could only choose between ridiculously slow turning and a sensitivity so high that it made any precise movement impossible.

Chocolate Doom: for some reason mouse turning was really choppy for me, but I've managed to fix it since then. Apparently Choco's own acceleration setting didn't work to well coupled with Intellimouse's.

I have no strong feelings either way. The mouse works and feels fine for me in vanilla, Chocolate, Eternity and Prboom-plus (both normal and alt handling), and I find I can adjust very quickly to the difference in acceleration when changing from one to another.

I thought of another option today. It wouldn't be that difficult for us to support more than one way of interpreting the raw mouse input. I could keep the existing code and make Choco Doom's an option alongside it, for example. It's only a few lines of code in i_video.c for each different method.

Yep, coupling methods would probably work out fine, as a simple answer to such a question isn't easy, given people often prefer different settings or setting styles, and even "vanilla" can't be specified exactly.

Belial said:
Vanilla: without Intellimouse drivers I could only choose between ridiculously slow turning and a sensitivity so high that it made any precise movement impossible.

Window's standard drivers have something that'll make DOOM's standard sensitivity range, especially if it's set high (optimally 9, the maximum), you'll be able to make full turns without trouble. But the acceleration is too high in my estimation, and slight movements are too hard to do as they tend to be slow, messing up aim or subtle reactions. Thus I find it better to not use acceleration and to use high sensitivity right through the CFG. I gather that Intellimouse driver lets you set a specific sensitivity (and you must have set it lower than the one for the standard mouse drivers).

Ok the poll is now closed and it looks like a majority (however tiny a majority it may be) would prefer to have the Choco Doom mouse code available in Eternity. I have decided, as discussed in a previous post, to make it an option alongside the existing mouse code. This should keep everybody happy.