Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
entryway

PrBoom 2.4.2

Building statically conflicts with SDL. It just doesn't work. So I will switch back to VC6 now.

proff_fs said:

So I will switch back to VC6 now.

:(

Could you still include a VC2005 project/solution in the source?

HobbsTiger1 said:

Could you still include a VC2005 project/solution in the source?

What the problems with it? VC6 projet will be converted automatically by VC2005 if you want to work with it

I don't need to justify asking for a project/solution that I dont have to convert and then make sure it converted properly; I'm just asking for it if its not a big deal to put in.

Wow. I'm definitely sticking with Visual C++ 6. With the number of Win98 boxes I've seen around, my own included, I would say that dropping support for it at this point would be really premature. Also, I wouldn't think of requiring somebody to download 300 MB of anything in order to compile or run my program o_O

Why is SDL such a problem? The version that ships with PrBoom links to the VC++ 6.0 CRT so it shouldn't matter whether the executable itself uses a static or dynamic CRT. In any case it's never the same one as the one used by SDL.

And with a statically linked CRT there won't be any problems with VC++ 2005.

So if there really are issues with SDL and a statically linked CRT it's SDL that deserves the blame (but then, I'd never use that library for Windows anyway - ever!)

I tried to compile with static linking, but I get several conflicts, if someone manages to get it done I would be happy to get told how.

Actually it's sdlmain.lib that ends up being the problem. It is statically linked and it drags its version of the C library into your program. It's a result of bad software design. I've seen the issue brought up on the SDL mailing list multiple times but it looks like nothing will be done about it.

Quasar said:

It's a result of bad software design.

Sorry to be harsh but the SDL guys are complete morons when they stick to this type of distribution as the only 'official' way to link to their library. It makes sense for VC 6.0 but only for that. Every other version of the compiler gets stuck with needless bloat as a result.

However, there is a simple solution to get around this stupidity: Use the source file for sdlmain directly so you get your own linker references. You find it in the source distribution as SDL-1.2.11\src\main\win32\sdl_win32_main.c

Graf Zahl said:

However, there is a simple solution to get around this stupidity: Use the source file for sdlmain directly so you get your own linker references. You find it in the source distribution as SDL-1.2.11\src\main\win32\sdl_win32_main.c

I have tried it and it works.
No more dependence from CRT
Thanks.