Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
bradharding

DOOM Retro v5.5.1 (updated August 11, 2024)

On 6/12/2022 at 5:21 AM, PKr said:

Not sure whether it should be mentioned here at all since it's a rather minor/nitpicky thing to look into, but if you'll ever run out of things to work on, can you please:

1. Interpolate automap scrolling? Right now, if you scroll the map at higher speeds (especially noticeable if you turn off the follow mode and just move camera left and right across the map) you can see frame skipping at some intervals. On top of that at 35 fps all automap lines shimmer a lot, so it would be nice if automap was a little bit smoother.

2. And speaking of smoothness... I was always wondering if it was possible to somehow render automap lines with some anti-aliasing treatment BUT without loosing the original line thickness (in a way to make automap lines look like vector graphics)?

On a side note, to remind of some very old feature suggestion - it would be nice to get some Doom Retro-exclusive secret revealed sound! 😀

Thanks @PKr. I agree, the panning in the automap isn't particularly smooth and does need some interpolation. As for antialiasing the lines in the automap: unfortunately, I've looked into it and I'm not a fan. As for secret notifications: 😉

On 6/13/2022 at 4:46 PM, ZigfriedYoshimitsu said:

If vid_widescreen is on and you're in windowed mode, you can resize the window in such a way that the ammo counter bleeds over to the opposite side of the screen.

Also the vid_fullscreen CVAR seems to just not work. If you try to change it, literally nothing happens.

Also, if you change the vid_borderlesswindow CVAR while in fullscreen mode, the alt+enter shortcut stops working as well, until you restart Doom Retro.

Yikes! Thanks @ZigfriedYoshimitsu, I'll look into these.

On 6/14/2022 at 12:35 AM, Endless said:

Hey brad! Odd request. Could it be possible to have a ''Mute music'' command so that we can bind it to the keyboard? I pretty much turn off the original music to listen to something else while I play, and a keybind would be a nice QoF improvement :)

You can do stuff like: bind 'm' "s_musicvolume 0%"

Brad, I have been using this source port for years now, and it has been great... However, recently I have changed computers and for some reason it stopped working. It was saying that it could not find the "doomretro.wad", even thought it was clearly right there. I have recently found out what was the problem... You see the name of my user file is "João", and apparently Doom Retro can't read the letter "ã" for some reason and since it can't read it, it can't find the "doomretro.wad", now i could change the name of my user file but doing that could break the other software that I have...

So could you pretty please with a bow on top, maybe make a patch that fixes this problem? I would love to be able to continue playing this source port that you have made. Thanks : ) 

image.png

3 hours ago, Karnasis said:

Brad, I have been using this source port for years now, and it has been great... However, recently I have changed computers and for some reason it stopped working. It was saying that it could not find the "doomretro.wad", even thought it was clearly right there. I have recently found out what was the problem... You see the name of my user file is "João", and apparently Doom Retro can't read the letter "ã" for some reason and since it can't read it, it can't find the "doomretro.wad", now i could change the name of my user file but doing that could break the other software that I have...

So could you pretty please with a bow on top, maybe make a patch that fixes this problem? I would love to be able to continue playing this source port that you have made. Thanks : ) 

image.png

Thanks for the report @Karnasis. I'll be happy to look at resolving this for you! :) DR does handle non-Latin filenames using code from Chocolate Doom, but I overlooked using it to handle this case. (In the meantime, assuming you have admin rights, you could just create the folder C:\doomretro and unzip everything there.)

EDIT: Fixed!

Edited by bradharding

I'd like to ask if there is a way to disable hardcoded translucency effects for some frames through Dehacked. I've been playing a wad called Rowdy Rudy 2, where the Pain Elemental is replaced by a new enemy, but due to the PE having a translucency effect applied to red-yellow pixels in the death animation, the new enemy suddenly becomes transparent after dying. I've seen in the thread that there is a way to turn on the effect by adding a Translucent = 1 line to the frame, but Translucent = 0 doesn't seem to do anything. Is it possible to do this at the moment?

26 minutes ago, ZigfriedYoshimitsu said:

Are messages intentionally not aligned to the left edge of the screen in widescreen mode?? Seems like a strange oversightdrmessages.png

Messages align to the left only when hud is in a full screen mode (when r_althud is set to either on or off).

Another bug lol

1. Get to the exit of a level

2. input the IDCHOPPERS cheat

3. exit the level

4. in the next level, change your weapon

You'll see the flashing effect that happens when your invulnerability is running out, thus gaining invulnerability for a few seconds. This shouldn't be happening because invuln never lasts beyond the end of a level

On 6/22/2022 at 6:07 PM, Brxyz said:

I'd like to ask if there is a way to disable hardcoded translucency effects for some frames through Dehacked. I've been playing a wad called Rowdy Rudy 2, where the Pain Elemental is replaced by a new enemy, but due to the PE having a translucency effect applied to red-yellow pixels in the death animation, the new enemy suddenly becomes transparent after dying. I've seen in the thread that there is a way to turn on the effect by adding a Translucent = 1 line to the frame, but Translucent = 0 doesn't seem to do anything. Is it possible to do this at the moment?

At this stage, no. It looks like I'll need to introduce a flag for this. (The same problem occurs for barrels and lost souls.) Thanks for bringing this up!

10 hours ago, ZigfriedYoshimitsu said:

Are messages intentionally not aligned to the left edge of the screen in widescreen mode?? Seems like a strange oversightdrmessages.png

It is intentional.

8 hours ago, ZigfriedYoshimitsu said:

Another bug lol

1. Get to the exit of a level

2. input the IDCHOPPERS cheat

3. exit the level

4. in the next level, change your weapon

You'll see the flashing effect that happens when your invulnerability is running out, thus gaining invulnerability for a few seconds. This shouldn't be happening because invuln never lasts beyond the end of a level

Thanks! Will fix! :)

Also since I've mentioned transparency in the previous post, are there maybe plans to add an option to set translucency options to apply only to walls/things/both similar to the Woof! source port? It could be a nice fallback option in case of transparency inconsistency when playing WADs using Dehacked or featuring sprite edits in general.

On 6/27/2022 at 12:11 PM, Endless said:

Hey brad, found a weird glitch where Doom Retro crashes right after the intermission screen in Eagle Speedmapping Session 1 - Rough Beginning. The WAD is boom-compatible so it should run well. I tested with GZDoom and DSDA-Doom and there's no crash.

Hey @Endless. It seems this is caused by the WIENTER lump, which is an irregular size of 400x300. I'll look into accommodating for this.

13 hours ago, Brxyz said:

Also since I've mentioned transparency in the previous post, are there maybe plans to add an option to set translucency options to apply only to walls/things/both similar to the Woof! source port? It could be a nice fallback option in case of transparency inconsistency when playing WADs using Dehacked or featuring sprite edits in general.

Nice idea. Thanks! I'll perhaps split the r_translucency CVAR into r_sprites_translucency and r_textures_translucency. There's already also r_bloodsplats_translucency.

Today I opened GZDoom and observed a massive improvement in my mouse response time, in comparison to Doom Retro. I have VSync and mouse acceleration turned off. I tried different values of FPS_CAP, but with no improvement. Are there other cvars which I could experiment with to improve the input delay of my mouse while playing Doom Retro?

Wonder why the upcoming version is giving me Quake vibes... :>

I recently came back to Doom Retro and I was wondering, are there any Doom mods that Retro could potentially support? For example, could voxels be supported somehow?

Doom Retro supports mods using the DEHEXTRA and/or MBF21 specification. While it doesn't support stuff like DECORATE, ACS, ZScript, etc., there's still a lot you can do with "just" MBF21. Vesper is a favorite mod of mine to use in Doom Retro and it works really well with a bunch of WADs. There's also SMOOTHED and its accompanying Black Ops, which adds additional animation frames to both monsters and weapons, respectively.

Here's some Doom Retro footage of AUGER;ZENITH with Vesper and Flash Damage (a graphical enhancement WAD that's actually vanilla-compatible):

6 minutes ago, segfault said:

Doom Retro supports mods using the DEHEXTRA and/or MBF21 specification. While it doesn't support stuff like DECORATE, ACS, ZScript, etc., there's still a lot you can do with "just" MBF21. Vesper is a favorite mod of mine to use in Doom Retro and it works really well with a bunch of WADs. There's also SMOOTHED and its accompanying Black Ops, which adds additional animation frames to both monsters and weapons, respectively.

Are SMOOTHED and Vesper compatible together as well?

Seems like now the game crashes in automap:

1. Open automap.

2. Press R to enable rotation mode.

3. Press F to turn off follow mode.

4. Press an arrow key.

I was able to reproduce that same automap issue too. I did it several times and it always crashed using the same method Pkr mentioned.

The autoloader only loads from directories without .wad in their name unlike PRBoom and other ports with this feature, also it doesn't load freestanding .lmp files

An old issue I have experienced is whenever I quickload after the confirmation screen melts into the game the confirmation screen pops back up and fades out.

36 minutes ago, PKr said:

Seems like now the game crashes in automap:

1. Open automap.

2. Press R to enable rotation mode.

3. Press F to turn off follow mode.

4. Press an arrow key.

18 minutes ago, Eddie 2077 said:

I was able to reproduce that same automap issue too. I did it several times and it always crashed using the same method Pkr mentioned.

Thanks guys, working on this now and hoping to have a fixed build soon.

1 hour ago, bradharding said:

Hello all! Today I've released version 4.6 of DOOM Retro, and this time it's a f**kin' big one! ...

Earlier today, I was wondering, "Man, it's been a while since the last update, I wonder when the next DOOM Retro release will be..." And then it happens! I'm also so glad that there's now an autoload folder. Now my ZDL external file list can look significantly less cluttered with all sorts of widescreen patches, map fixes, etc.

3 minutes ago, bradharding said:

Please redownload to fix that automap issue. 🤷‍♂️😜

If I extract the files to the same folder 4.6 is in and overwrite the files, would it cause any problems?

Extract and overwrite didn't seem to cause any issues for me, now that I tried it. And I checked the automap again, it works as intended now.

6 hours ago, Fireseth said:

The Super Shotgun breaks when "r_fixspriteoffsets" is set to "on". I assume this bug was created when you fixed Doom Zero's SSG breaking.

Thanks @Fireseth. I have no idea how that got past DR's QA department! Can't leave it like that, so I've uploaded another minor change to the release. Please redownload.

7 hours ago, Blue Phoenix said:

The autoloader only loads from directories without .wad in their name unlike PRBoom and other ports with this feature, also it doesn't load freestanding .lmp files

An old issue I have experienced is whenever I quickload after the confirmation screen melts into the game the confirmation screen pops back up and fades out.

The autoload feature will be improved upon in future builds (also support for mp3 files for instance).

I'll investigate that quickload issue soon as well. Thanks.

Edited by bradharding