Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
baja blast rd.

*** The "ask a miscellaneous editing question" thread ***

14 hours ago, Gez said:

You must be thinking of the GEC Masters Edition version.

Indeed I was! 

15 hours ago, Gez said:

The maps from PSX Doom were originally converted with Kaiser's PSXMAKE tool. Those from PSX Final Doom are a different story, however, as the format is different for some reason.

Unfortunately, that tool was apparently only hosted on Kaiser's personal homepage ca. 2006, meaning it is very long dead.

Thanks for the reply. Using WebArchive, I can confirm that the original file is indeed lost; however, it seems that someone on the ZDoom forums in 2008 made a reupload.

I am going to embed it here for posterity's sake :-).

(Windows Defender says it's safe, just in case).

PSXMake.zip

How is UMAPINFO's bossaction to be used exactly? I made a tiny wad wanting to play around with the possibilities and put 

bossaction = ZombieMan, 19, 666

into my MAP01 definition in the UMAPINFO lump; doesn't throw any errors, great! Obviously in my map I have one former human and one sector properly tagged 666, but when I kill him nothing actually happens. I've actually tried a few different floor lowering specials but to no avail. Testing with DSDA-doom 0.24.3 (primarily interested in targeting Boom-compatible with UMAPINFO support) and GZDoom 4.2.3

4 minutes ago, ipecacodemon said:

How is UMAPINFO's bossaction to be used exactly?

The missing part of the puzzle is to add BossDie dehacked codepointer to a monster that doesn't have it already.

Ahh, that would make sense. However I just tested and it turns out if I use a manc or a cyber instead of a zombie it will actually work in GZDoom but still nothing happens in DSDA-doom.

23 minutes ago, ipecacodemon said:

but still nothing happens in DSDA-doom. 

I'm pretty sure you can't use some walkover actions, even though umapinfo spec does not say that. Like, vanilla 19 or 38 doesn't work, but something like 24576 (boom generalized walkover once floor down) does.

In terms of modding:  Is CPosAttack producing two tracers or one? I can't wrap my head around it.

I gave a custom monster PossAttack, and subjectively it feels like it has less output than chaingunner despite using the same attack code but I can't prove it.

in boom format: right now it is less of a "how do i?" and more of a "could i?" re: ambient, looping sound

is it at all possible, thru deh/bex, to make a motionless "sound thing" that can also teleport (with conveyor assistance ofc)?

i would like to make a sound cue to help indicate progression, where the looping sound is audible in the environment after that objective is fulfilled, but not before. it seems like having the thing teleport to the desired destination could be a possible way to go about that, but i might also be far off.

An idea: Have the sound emitting Thing be several hundred or thousand map units under the floor, then have that sector raise instantly when the objective is complete.

3 hours ago, heliumlamb said:

in boom format: right now it is less of a "how do i?" and more of a "could i?" re: ambient, looping sound

is it at all possible, thru deh/bex, to make a motionless "sound thing" that can also teleport (with conveyor assistance ofc)?

i would like to make a sound cue to help indicate progression, where the looping sound is audible in the environment after that objective is fulfilled, but not before. it seems like having the thing teleport to the desired destination could be a possible way to go about that, but i might also be far off.

Most things can be set in motion and thus activate teleport lines using Boom conveyors, including item pickups and non-ceiling decorations. Dragonfly's idea is also great if your level design permits it and probably gonna be vanilla-compatible if you're interested in that. 

As for the deh/bex itself, If you're willing to target MBF-compatible as opposed to Boom-compatible (i.e. cl11 vs cl9), then MBF offers you A_PlaySound as well as allowing you to attach an action to any frame even if it didn't previously have any. So all you'd need is a thing with a single spawn frame, with a duration equal to or greater than the duration of the sound in ticks (otherwise it will cut itself short in order to loop again) and have that frame point to itself under "next". 

Otherwise, you'll have to give a thing a frame with a Look action and a frame with a Chase action, and then put your sound into its Alert and Active sound slots. This is how All Hell Is Breaking Loose did it back in 1996, but it's not perfect because of the way A_Chase works internally, so it will loop fairly inconsistently and you may need to place multiple things in the area to get a satisfactory audio result.

I might be just missing it entirely but is there a boom compatible fast floor lower action?

2 minutes ago, nue said:

I might be just missing it entirely but is there a boom compatible fast floor lower action?

Boom has generalised actions meaning you can mix and match parameters like target, speed, how it's triggered etc. however you please. In Doom Builder you will want to click the "Browse actions" button on the right of the dropdown menu that shows the predefined actions, then tab to "Generalized Actions" and simply create the action you want.

Otherwise, vanilla only offers "Floor Lower to 8 above Highest Floor" (36, 98, 70, 71) which may not be what you want depending on your level geometry. Alternatively, "Raise Floor to Lowest Ceiling" will instead lower your floor *instantly* if the lowest adjacent ceiling is below it, but again this may not be what you want.

thing MTF_EXTRA46 "Bonehead's grenade floater" {
    +NOGRAVITY
    +FLOAT

Health 100
    Mass 100
    Radius 8
    Height 48

States {
        Spawn:
            SP45 ABCDABC 3 Bright
            SP45 D 3 A_Look // Do I need to? I dunno. Would help to acquire target
            SP45 D 0 A_SpawnObject(MTF_EXTRA47, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, -20.0)
            Stop
        See:
            SP45 D 0 A_MonsterProjectile(MTF_EXTRA47, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, -24.0)
            Stop
    }
}

It seems that somehow both spawnages of MTF_EXTRA47 happen, how comes?

Is it wise rename the IWAD textures in new TEXTURE1, for better organization in the editor, with a larger amnounts of custom resources, or will it horrendously break something? 

Like this: thing.zip (ashwall2 and 3 renamed)

Edited by Michael Jensen

52 minutes ago, Michael Jensen said:

Is it wise rename the IWAD textures in new TEXTURE1, for better organization in the editor, with a larger amnounts of custom resources, or will it horrendously break something? 

If you don't intend player to see the IWAD maps, probably fine. I think it would be fine either way, it would just produce halls of mirrors if you don't have a texture.

Couldn't find another appropriate place to ask this so I'm asking here:

What is the legality of taking an official DOOM map, for example E1M1 and remixing it with textures, additional sectors, enemy placements, etc... I've been playing the MAXDOOM maps and I'm seeing LOTS of modified OG levels in that collection and was wondering if it's okay to use these levels. I don't currently have any projects or ideas in mind to do this, but the consistency in which I'm finding these remixed maps has me wondering everytime I play a WAD. 

The "legality" of it might be a tricky question.  I am not a lawyer, and I'm not certain any court has ever ruled on a collection of linedefs as protected property in the same way they have for 3D models, textures, sounds, etc.  Definitely one of those "better safe than sorry" situations, I think.

Also idgames and other similar communities outright reject any submissions that are based on or modified versions of retail maps.  You'll still find maps like that around, of course, but most people avoid making them because it severely limits your ability to share them with a wide audience.

You might be better off asking if it is good etiquette, to which the answer is generally no.  Unless you're doing some really crazy meta stuff, modified retail maps tend to feel like newbie maps and shovelware.  If you're making KDiZD you're probably fine, but if you're making Hangar But All The Floors Are Lava... well, it's good practice with the editor, but it's probably best kept on your own drive.

Edited by ShallowB

A bit unusual question, but I was wondering what is the joke behind name of the map 27 in D2TWWRI "Million IQ House". I understand names of most are puns or references, but I have no idea what this means.

Edited by Screamapillar

7 hours ago, Screamapillar said:

A bit unusual question, but I was wondering what is the joke behind name of the map 27 in D2TWWRI "Million IQ House". I understand names most are puns or references, but I have not idea what this means.

Beside the fact that a condo is a type of housing, it's mostly about large amount of secrets. Honestly, on reflection after the fact, it doesn't actually make a lot of sense.

Is there any reason why doom.exe (running in DosBox) would fail to load a secret level properly? E1M9 is just bringing up Military Base instead of my level. It doesn't do it in any port and I have no explanation for it, there's nothing wrong with the WAD structure in SLADE, and I know its not because my E1M9 doesn't have an exit line yet...and it is 100% the correct file. Really perplexing how it only happens in DosBox! 

Shit is about to go down. Should I worry? Just more 28 and I will be forced to block the player's view so VPO is avoided.

image.png.c0568fe45c24a40b541365791f579ec5.png

How can I increase zombieman's accuracy in vanilla? I searched and couldn't find anything related to it in vanilla. I want to make the zombieman a lethal enemy.

10 minutes ago, Jack9955 said:

How can I increase zombieman's accuracy in vanilla? I searched and couldn't find anything related to it in vanilla. I want to make the zombieman a lethal enemy.

You cannot change the codepointer behavior in vanilla, you can only change what codepointers are called. As such, you cannot change attack accuracy as there no kind of parameters to change.

How do you make sections of a map less symmetrical? My brain is hardwired to symmetry, so I have a hard time not creating symmetrical areas.

I have a question about the super shotgun glitch (See below)

DOOM01.png.44ef6a6e861623896d6d5c776d62855e.png

If I change the sprite duration from 4 to 3, does it fix it?

image.png.c2ed8cde3b4a6ebab0ec4e5d61e5b9d2.png

14 hours ago, Dweller said:

How do you make sections of a map less symmetrical? My brain is hardwired to symmetry, so I have a hard time not creating symmetrical areas.

Try to give each wall a purpose. Like maybe you'll return to this room, and walk along the side wall. Make it curve.

There isn't really much wrong with having simmetry along the sides, but if you have to go from identical side to identical side, it might get confusing.