Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Neurosis

What Video Game Are You Currently Playing?

Posted (edited)

Redneck Rampage Rides Again (1998)

I've just got dynamite with a chicken on it

I've been replaying Tyrian 2000 on account of Fortnite not opening for me for some reason. Something about Ace-Base needing to be closed. I don't know what that is and what I need to do to close that.

I have beat VLADiK BRUTAL in normal mode. That was not easy but the game was excellent from start to finish. A nice tribute to the Half-Life Series, Metro and STALKER.

Now i'm trying to play to Days Gone. I say i try because this game was crashing all the time randomly, and as we can only save only when the protaganist is near a bed or his motorbike, this game becomes tiresome because i restart all since the mission's beginning. I think i have resolve the issue while searching on the web in the PC screen options. When i put the option in windowed without borders i have played two hours without crashes, so i hope this issue is solved, otherwise i will give up.

Resident Evil 0 (2002)

Could not beat this game before, there is soft locks if you don’t play it right.  And the character switch ruined it for me.  I’m now using a guide from gamefaqs and will finally finish this one.

Nam (1998) for the first time today

It is a Duke Nukem 3D mode rather than a different game

Been diving down the rabbit hole of Quake mapping lately. Probably won't grow to the size of my collection of Doom mods but the exploration and sightseeing of Quake levels just hits different for me.

3 hours ago, crusty_charlie said:

Been diving down the rabbit hole of Quake mapping lately. Probably won't grow to the size of my collection of Doom mods but the exploration and sightseeing of Quake levels just hits different for me.

Something about the way Quake captures scale in architecture just hits different.

What maps are working for you right now?

Posted (edited)

Legend  of Seven Paladins 3D (1994)  

The first Build Engine game

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Daytime Waitress said:

Something about the way Quake captures scale in architecture just hits different.

What maps are working for you right now?

Most of Dimension of the Machine really hit the spot for me, and that one's official. Outside of that, I've been alternating between playing maps from Arcane Dimensions and Alkaline. Literally minutes ago, I just completed the Grendel's Blade map from AD. Outside of those, there's also 1024 Cement Mixer and Epochs of Emnity is also lots of fun to play too. I'm not nearly as deep into Quake modding as Doom so if you have any recommendations, by all means let me know :)

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, crusty_charlie said:

Most of Dimension of the Machine really hit the spot for me, and that one's official. Outside of that, I've been alternating between playing maps from Arcane Dimensions and Alkaline. Literally minutes ago, I just completed the Grendel's Blade map from AD. Outside of those, there's also 1024 Cement Mixer and Epochs of Emnity is also lots of fun to play too. I'm not nearly as deep into Quake modding as Doom so if you have any recommendations, by all means let me know :)

Hard same - I prefer Doom's gameplay over Quake's, so I've just put less time into it, comparatively.

My go-to's are Honey (which IIRC was added as one of the curated mods with the remaster) and both the Brutalist Jams - they're the examples which always spring to mind when l think of the physically overwhelming architecture that nothing but Quake does so well.

1024CM had passed me by, but I'm excited to crack on with anything that puts foliage in Quake!

19 hours ago, Daytime Waitress said:

Hard same - I prefer Doom's gameplay over Quake's, so I've just put less time into it, comparatively.

My go-to's are Honey (which IIRC was added as one of the curated mods with the remaster) and both the Brutalist Jams - they're the examples which always spring to mind when l think of the physically overwhelming architecture that nothing but Quake does so well.

1024CM had passed me by, but I'm excited to crack on with anything that puts foliage in Quake!

Honey was cool, I love its setting of a quiet village hiding a dark, massive secret beneath its surface. And man, those Brutalist jam levels look insane, those are definitely going in my mod folder.

On 8/30/2024 at 7:25 AM, crusty_charlie said:

1024 Cement Mixer

Haven't played Quake for a hot minute, so this was one hell of a something to jump back in with!

It's incredibly compact, with practically every wall and floor being used to conceal an encounter; and despite an abundance of these kind of Plutonia-esque snap reveals, and the overall relentless pace, it never felt too vicious or mean-spirited (except for the last fight, which was a pretty sudden difficulty spike).

I really hope the author continues to use the custom texture set to build more of exactly this (although that's probably due to my lack of fondness for sprawling maps).

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, Daytime Waitress said:

Haven't played Quake for a hot minute, so this was one hell of a something to jump back in with!

It's incredibly compact, with practically every wall and floor being used to conceal an encounter; and despite an abundance of these kind of Plutonia-esque snap reveals, and the overall relentless pace, it never felt too vicious or mean-spirited (except for the last fight, which was a pretty sudden difficulty spike).

I really hope the author continues to use the custom texture set to build more of exactly this (although that's probably due to my lack of fondness for sprawling maps).

What's the easiest source port to use for Quake? QuakeGL does not see the game.

Edited by Verna

33 minutes ago, Verna said:

What's easiest the source port to use for Quake? QuakeGL does not see the game.

Ironwail, I think? It's a fork of Quakespasm but with much better perfs.

Just picked this up for cheap and I've been having a blast doing the co-op campaign with my son.

PXL_20240827_184329662.jpg

10 hours ago, Verna said:

What's the easiest source port to use for Quake? QuakeGL does not see the game.

Just like Doom, it kind of depends on what you want the port to do.

I don't think I've run into anything "difficult" to use, and I've jumped between Quakespasm, FTEQW and the remaster a fair bit.

But, as Gez pointed out, Ironwail's become a new kind of standard, especially for more modern, graphically intensive mods because of the ridiculous buffs it gives to performance; so you're probably best off starting from there.

12 hours ago, Daytime Waitress said:

Just like Doom, it kind of depends on what you want the port to do.

I don't think I've run into anything "difficult" to use, and I've jumped between Quakespasm, FTEQW and the remaster a fair bit.

But, as Gez pointed out, Ironwail's become a new kind of standard, especially for more modern, graphically intensive mods because of the ridiculous buffs it gives to performance; so you're probably best off starting from there.

I tried QuakeGL. I couldn't work the game with it. I was hoping something easier to use.

Edited by Verna

I am currently playing Doom 2 Maps in Duke 3D Mod through GZDoom

Difficulty: Damn, I am Good

Jumping and Crouching: On

Falling Damage: Hexen

I also use the Jetpack when I am given in the mod. I even fly in Doom 2 Maps.

Map 29 gets finished by flying with jetpack from the beginning. Lol.

Edited by Verna

Days Gone isn't bad, good stealth game, but i had a blue screen with system restart last night. Otherwise i play some Chapters of Black Mesa like Blast Pit, Power up, and Interloper with the latest Patch, this is still enjoyable. 

I am currently playing Doom 2 Maps in Quake (Quakin) Mod through GZDoom

Difficulty: Very Hard

Jumping and Degeneration: On

Falling Damage: Hexen

I am currently playing Ultimate Doom Maps in Blood (Bloom) Mode through GZDoom.

Chosen Man: Doom Guy (Unmerciful Marine)

Difficulty: Caleb's Nightmare (5th difficulty)

I play it with vanilla movements, which means no jumping, no crouching, no looking up or down

Edited by Verna

Help, I am still stuck in the world of Souls.

Had a ragequit yesterday with DS3 and uninstalled it.

Then thought I need to get detox from souls. Played Spit Wad Willy for a while in DosBox.

But then I had a thought, how would Elden Ring feel to me right now, because they say it's hard but something is off with DS3 difficulty.

And so I tempted to break my detox and try my last ER build that is overlevelled though as I explore everything. And yes it was much nicer experience and relaxing, but also I noticed something. Most enemies respond a bit slower when they see you, and with fewer compos sometimes. They are never as manic and unfair as DS3. Plus the fact my OP build now takes very little damage. I was playing like an idiot without paying attention, hitting and getting hit sometimes. I wasn't afraid to go near enemies. So, they must have toned down the enemy responses compared to DS3. Now bosses are different thing, but you summon spirit asses, you are overlevelled becxause you explored naturally all thbe area. It naturally becomes more relaxing to play than DS3 where youa re stuck.

And now I want to check another theory and will reinstall DS3. What if I grind for levels and get 30-50 levels up in few hours. Will it matter? I thought this thing never mattered in DS games enough, but in ER it makes a vast difference. In both builds my Vigor are 40, but in DS3 if I get hit hard I will go from 100% health to 30% or something, almost dead and down the ground. In ER because I OP and same 40 Vigor (and level is less at 115 while it's 125 in DS3) and I notice damage is vastly reduced, the 70% overkill might be 30%. I don't have heavy armours and those never made a big different in souls games.

On 9/13/2024 at 6:44 AM, Optimus said:

What if I grind for levels and get 30-50 levels up in few hours. Will it matter?

Depends on what you distribute the points into and what build you're working toward, and whether or not your equipment compliments your stats. If you dump 30 points into intelligence and use a weapon that scales to faith, it won't help very much. Sometimes the build you have will just be at a disadvantage against particular enemies, but that's part of what makes different builds interesting.

On 9/13/2024 at 6:44 AM, Optimus said:

In both builds my Vigor are 40, but in DS3 if I get hit hard I will go from 100% health to 30% or something, almost dead and down the ground. In ER because I OP and same 40 Vigor (and level is less at 115 while it's 125 in DS3) and I notice damage is vastly reduced, the 70% overkill might be 30%. I don't have heavy armours and those never made a big different in souls games.

Armor absolutely matters, different armor types will show what they are best at protecting from, and it pays to learn the type of damage you're receiving in a particular area. If you're getting downed way too quickly, figure out what type of damage the enemies of that area are dealing, and adjust your armor accordingly. If a piece of armor is rated well against thrust but weak against slashing and you're being killed by enemies with scimitars, experiment with. It's only one of many contributing factors, but if wearing suitable armor saves even an extra sliver of health during a boss fight, that can mean the difference between progress and rage quitting.

I haven't played DS3 since 2018 according to Steam, but I had put in almost 250 hours. You're making me want to go back and give it another whirl! The last build I remember getting to NG+ was a pure strength class with high endurance as to not fat roll with heavy armor/heavy two handed hammers. It was great against most things, but because of my slow attacks and no long range, the game was still a challenge overall.

On 9/13/2024 at 4:44 PM, Optimus said:

I don't have heavy armours and those never made a big different in souls games.

Eh, in Dark Souls 1 fully upgraded heavy armor (or even just Havel) would drastically decrease damage taken, on top of making it harder to interrupt your actions. Obviously, abusing temporary invulnerability of dodge rolls to never get hit in the first place is better than getting hit for fraction of damage. Choice of a shield to block stuff can also be important because they block various types of damage in various degrees.

Ultimate Doom Maps in Chex Quest 2 Wad on Ultra Violence

Monsters that did not exist in Episode 1 are unvisible except lost souls. It makes UV much harder.

I am currently in E4 M6. I finished the earlier 3 episodes. I also played all secret levels

Episode 1 Map 1-5 are unplayable since maps are replaced.

Edit:

Episode 4 is finished too

Edited by Verna